01: seeing lions
- Far from the Nyala camp, we see lots of game, including elephants and lions.
02: the kind that contain vodka
- Back in Johannesburg, I finally get my camera recharged.
03: Cape Town, South Africa
- We buy crafts, ride the cable car, and then eat Indian food.
04: African Penguins
- We travel down the Cape of Good Hope to the lighthouse on its end.
05: cubes of glass
- We become victims of crime in South Africa.
06: killer hawk of Franschhoek
- A day in South African wine country.
07: South African freeway driving
- You have to learn how to use that shoulder.
- Canoeing around Knysna Lagoon and visiting a rehabilitation reserve for monkeys.
09: boyband revolution
- Skipping the microbrew and gourmet coffee revolutions, South Africans embrace the boyand revolution instead.
10: lots of elephants
- We go to Addo Elephant National Park.
11: business class in Port Elizabeth
- We begin our trip from Port Elizabeth to New York.
12: kicked across the Atlantic
- Little kids in the seat behind me kick me as the plane flies from London to New York.
13: alchemy of decontamination
- cleaning up after the housesitters.
14: real-life villains never do this
- Subconsciously expecting the Bush people to reveal their diabolical motives.
15: today's Holy Grail of music,
- A brief review of the Russian girl band Tatu.
16: no more punk rock tooth
- My punk rock tooth begins the process of being replaced by a dentist.
17: distracting nose job
- Cold weather, rescued Titmouse and a bad movie.
18: youth in Woodstock
- Flyering in this overpriced little town.
19: so we could BOOB
- An experience at the renovated Mughal Raj south of Rhinebeck, NY.
20: junk teevee laughs
- A particularly entertaining Sunday.
21: designed for hauling dirty laundry
- I buy a wheelbarrow and watch a Britney Spears movie.
22: Darkytown Races
- Some racist memorabilia in a Rhinebeck bar.
23: necessary socio-emotional machinery
- WASPs can never rebel against their parent's WASPyness.
24: fitted for my new crown
- I'm talking about my new tooth.
25: Mavis the rattling cat
- We adopt an ancient foster cat from the Kingston SPCA.
26: Hudson in the rain
- We visit Hudson, New York.
27: day with a freedom door
- I buy a weird-sized outside door at a specialty door shop in Shokan.
28: sans-Chippendale bachelorette's night out
- I continue work on the door and Gretchen's friends take her out for a bachelorette's night out type thing.
29: swarms of black flies
- More trouble with flies while working on the sideyard steps.
30: claimed to have been thrown in
- I attend a poetry reading with my girlfriend Gretchen at Sarah Lawrence College.