Your leaking thatched hut during the restoration of a pre-Enlightenment state.


Hello, my name is Judas Gutenberg and this is my blaag (pronounced as you would the vomit noise "hyroop-bleuach").


decay & ruin
Biosphere II
dead malls
Irving housing

got that wrong

appropriate tech
Arduino μcontrollers
Backwoods Home
Fractal antenna

fun social media stuff

(nobody does!)

Like my brownhouse:
   freezer food in the refrigerator
Tuesday, December 3 2019
Somewhat more snow had fallen overnight than expected. There appeared to be about four or five inches of fluffy new stuff on the driveway, which had been totally clear yesterday afternoon. As you'll remember, last night I'd been forced to leave the Prius in the downhill neighbor's circular driveway when I couldn't climb a steep upward bend in Dug Hill Road. The new snow was alarming, since I would have to drive through a couple hundred feet of that to make it back to the road, which was fortunately plowed. In addition to my work-issue laptop, I brought a collapsible snow shovel with me on my walk back to the Prius. Even before I got to that, I first shoveled through the "ice wall" left by the Hurley snowplow along the edge of Dug Hill Road. There was no way the Prius could ram through that, even traveling downhill.
The snow turned out to be as thin as a thick atmosphere and didn't provide much resistance as I gingerly drove through it back towards the road. Since it was all downhill all the way to Hurley Mountain Road, two-wheel drive was sufficient for my needs. I was the first person to park at the complex where my employer has its offices. I was pleasantly surprised to find that someone had already plowed the parking area completely.

At noon, I drove to the small hardware store in the middle of Red Hook with the intention of buying a replacement ballast for the malfunctioning fluorescent ceiling lamp in the shop. Though they didn't actually appear to have any ballasts for sale, they had something better: long tube-like LED assemblages designed to fit where the tubes go. These have long wires designed to connect to conventional 120 volt AC. Not only would two of them cost about what I would expect to pay for a ballast alone, but they would also produce more light with less electricity. There was, in other words, no reason to do anything else.

For conventional lunches that I prepare for myself in the office, I live on a diet comprised exclusively of frozen pupusas with sauerkraut, occasionally augmented (in season) with tomatoes and hot peppers. The office fridge doesn't have a working freezer, so I am forced to keep the pupusas in the refrigerator even though they're the sort of thing one is supposed to keep frozen. Today I learned the limit of how long freezer items can be kept at refrigerator temperatures when I found a couple spots of mold on one of the pupusas. It had been thawed out for maybe a week. The long Thanksgiving weekend had been a bit too long.

Snow on the trees out the dining room east window as seen soon after I got up this morning (at about 7:00am).

The twin oaks out in the Esopus Valley a little northeast of the intersection of Hurley Mountain Road and Dug Hill Road this morning on the drive to work. Click to enlarge.

For linking purposes this article's URL is:

previous | next