01: antacids and bad pizza and beer
- Our last evening in Udaipur.
- Savanna says it's not a word. Then her mother throws up.
03: Liam gets us home
- He drives like a maniac, but he's a great housesitter.
04: more wrong with me than painless diarrhea
- Sick after travel. But at least there are old episodes of True Crime Loser to watch.
05: dropped pins and early to bed
- Going through travel pictures while ill.
06: logistics muscles
- Even if I was born with them, have they atrophied completely?
07: dozens of small pockets of gas
- The nature of my lingering cramps. Also, my stomach (though not my belly) has shrunk.
08: suicidal squirrels
- Fat, cute, and kind of stupid, they almost chased themselves into Ramona the Dog.
09: cramps and a sticker
- Uncomfortable beneath my ribcage until the Subaru becomes street legal.
10: needing a different bridge
- My sixteen mile end-of-day commute becomes 55.2 miles and the Subaru crosses the 220,000 mile mark with a fresh new check engine light.
11: metal detector finds something
- Unfortunately, it's just an old rusty piece of wire on this unseasonably warm day.
12: stepping stones across winter
- Warm days sprinkled through winter make it a lot easier to take.
13: Microsoft Teams breaks communication
- Having just switched from Slack to Microsoft Teams, I can confidently say the latter doesn't promote communication.
14: contrived milestones in time
- Measuring one part of my life using a yardstick from another.
15: too many doorknobs
- Germaphobes commiserate about the proliferation of things that must be touched.
16: mostly buying organic produce
- Though still not always.
17: Pine Bush
- In celebration of Gretchen's birthday, a vacation in southwest lower New York State.
18: maximized pre-storm utility
- Returning from Forestburgh and Port Jervis just before the snow made Dug Hill Road unclimbable.
19: Noodle Party, 2020
- I am the only man present as conversation turns to hot flashes and ovarian cysts.
20: endless pasta leftovers
- The aftermath of the noodle party.
21: two pasta dinners
- Undortunately, one was puttanesca. Also, watching the dramatization of the Gypsy Blanchard story
22: Ramona's self control
- Though tempted, she manages not to attack Crazy Dave's dogs.
23: sometimes you have to do nice things
- Bringing both dogs to work and having predictable grief. Also, nothing worth buying at the Tibetan Center thrift store after a two month absence.
24: free will and Bubby's vs Yum Yum
- In the end my feet take me to where the food would be least likely to be greasy.
25: fix-it team
- Gretchen is my assistant as I fix problems in two of our rental units.
26: ten minute haircut
- Andrea arrives from Washington, DC to commence a Claws marathon.
27: magical realist Russia
- I dream I woke up to in a sweat. Also, salvaging both locust and skeletonized chestnut oak.
28: not so good with east coast avocados
- Only our friend Andrea can pick the perfectly-ripe ones.
29: olanzapine as a sedative
- 10 mg isn't as strong as 100 mg of diphenhydramine.
30: deer excuse for running
- My idea of what the dogs were thinking when they ran after a herd of deer while I was salvaging firewood.
31: sprinkled like tiny islands in a sea of impostor syndrome
- A rare feeling of workplace accomplishment, coupled with free Chinese food for lunch.