LoRa packet sent into the bitbucket in the sky
Monday, September 30 2019
It turned out that the import I'd had to prematurely flee on Friday had gone well enough for others on my team (in this case, Jon) to salvage without even all that much work, so I should've just kicked back and enjoyed the evening's trip into the City. That was pretty much what I did, though it would've been nice had Alex gotten back to me on Slack.
Today at work, I managed to finish the code that builds the bulk importer, which was the thing I'd been excited about working on before Friday turned into a dumpster fire. Today Alex wanted me to build a whole additional user interface for my Excel importing functionality, which seemed a bit like gilding a lily to me. So instead I built a system for configuring it using JSON files that can be edited in a text editor and uploaded separately from the Electron app. This is important, because the fewer the occasions the app itself needs to be changed in order to support changes in functionality, the faster the turnaround time on fixes to an import. Right now, the Electron app is so big that it takes at least a half hour to re-package and deploy it to some destination on the network. But if I can reconfigure it by altering a small text file and using it to overwrite an existing configuration file, the turnaround time can be less than a minute. I've already made it so most of the SQL queries, the operator notes, and all of the reports are configured this way. Now, going forward, any details of any Excel import will also be configured this way.
When I returned home this afternoon, the dogs were too exhausted to show me their usual love. Gretchen said that they'd been out for something like six hours today, and Neville had some tiny scratches between his eyes (as if she'd been mauled by a small animal with sharp claws). For her part, Ramona was lying in the blue chair and moaning occasionally, as if she was in pain. But we couldn't find anything wrong with her.
I did some more work on my stone wall in the forest, extending it even further to the east by about eighteen inches. The wall has now come down to the bottom of the short slope it had been descending and, should I continue to lengthen it, it can now continue along a mostly-level surface for fifty or more feet.
I returned to my LoRa experimentation again this evening, and made a little progress. Doing some internet research, I saw that the errors I'd been getting were a consequence of an improper pin configuration. But even with that set up correctly, none of my transmitted packets were showing up on my LoRa gateway. I get the feeling that if I ever get this working, I will automatically be something of a LoRa expert. As it is, I'm having to modify files in the LoRa library written in C that are not part of my Arduino sketch, which is not anything a conventional Arduino users is ever expected to do.
For linking purposes this article's URL is:feedback
previous | next